Friday, September 27, 2019

Pain: Finding Ways to Live with and through it.



By Rev. Amari Magdalena



Along this journey we call life, we will experience pain.  It may by physical, emotional, mental, or even spiritual.  In an average childhood, our pains may be simple scrapes and fall.  For some the pain may be quite emotional.  Some may experience mental pain from being different or having brains that function atypically from others. Spiritual pain may not be so prevalent in childhood though many people come to question the religious beliefs held by their parents.

With advancing age, I am discovering, physical pain may become an uninvited guest in a body that is succumbing to years of activity, dietary choices, and simple wear and tear.  Like our cars, parts do wear out over time.  Ancestry may be at play, climate, activities, and the unexpected become targets of our otherwise general good and earlier adult health.

Pain can be our friend, notifying us of a problem.  And, while that is a lovely philosophy, experiencing it and getting past it can be a challenge.  So, we could say, there is an upside and a downside of pain. Good that it lets us know something is amiss; not so good that we must find ways to live through it.

Personally, I’ve had pain at all levels since the early 90’s when my back required the first of several surgeries.  I’ve found ways to cope with that over the years.  Distraction was my best tool.  Hurt, do something else.  Move into a different mindset. Congratulate yourself for effectively implementing the Mind over Matter program.

That strategy held for many a year.  Often, there was another potent solution.  I found that whenever I entered a shamanic state of being while teaching, leading ceremonies, or healing others, my own pain completely abated during the sessions. Time out of mind helped.

In the past few years arthritis has grabbed a hold of me like a relentless vine.  It sneaks up in a damp climate like Japanese Kudzu that is enveloping the Southeast.  Like this plant, arthritis, spreads easily and everywhere proving triumphant against schemes to rid myself of it.  It’s humbled me and given me glimpses of severe pain that many people suffer every day with this and other health maladies.

So how does one live with this?  I can only speak for myself.  In the meantime, and the between times, I’ve come to appreciate more pain free days much more.  It forces me to be very present and live more in the now.  A good day is a Hallelujah celebration.  A not so good day, a testament of resolve to retreat, take time off, and gather strength to move through it.  Sometimes I talk to the pain to understand what warning signs it is offering me. I can affirm that this too shall pass, which I do often.

I don’t believe we can ‘walk in another person’s moccasins’ on the issue of pain.  What we can do, is be a bit more sensitive to the person experiencing it. We can hold off on recommending endless remedies and actually listen to the person and express our sorrow that they are experiencing it.  We can offer whatever help they may need.  We can give a heartfelt hug. Ultimately, we can speak up about the abysmal condition of healthcare in our country and the failure of medicine to find cures for the diseases that have garnered wealth for Big Pharma.  We can become advocates.

My siblings and I often wondered what happened to our joyful Mother who was so playful when we were growing up and became harsh, critical, and difficult.  Sadly, I now know that she became somewhat embittered by her trial of pain. I surely hope that in the wondrous ethers of weightlessness and consciousness, she is a Light being again.  I can affirm that I will not succumb to bitterness.

For those of you reading this who are in pain, I extend my deepest sympathy and empathy. I hope you will be relieved of this burden.  I extend an affirmation that non-damaging relief will meet you on the road to improved health. I send you my blessings and love.  For those reading this who are not in pain, I hope you have gained a bit of perspective.  For all, may you discover the Being underneath and reach enlightenment.

“The struggle of my life created empathy.  I could relate to pain, being abandoned, having people not love me.”  Oprah Winfrey

“To know yourself as the Being underneath the thinker, the stillness underneath the mental noise, the love and joy underneath the pain, is freedom, salvation, enlightenment.”  Eckart Tolle


No comments:

Post a Comment