Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Allowing Ourselves to be Known

by Rev. Amari Magdalena


At a CSL service recently the director talked about respect. A lot of the talk was focused on our inner beings.  Words like honor, admiration, esteem, praise, homage, etc and trust came up.  Holding communities in respect was also a topic of discussion.  Somewhere in the talk, she mentioned “allowing ourselves to be known” and that illuminating bulb, that had become somewhat dimmed, went off in my inner knowing.

It got me assessing my own ability, or lack thereof, of allowing myself to be known at that deeper level of vulnerability.  A lot of people in my life believe they know me, at least the public me. The private me is very little known. I can see now that fact was the destruction of many of my intimate relationships.  That malady was due to trust! This is going to be a much more intimate blog, it seems. My intention is for it to perhaps spur any others, who are little known, to trust coming forward—out of isolation if you will.

If you understand childhood psychology, trust is built in the first two years.  The adult ability to be vulnerable is built on that early trust.  If you trust your early caretakers, you will most likely grow to trust others and then yourself.

From 4 to 10 months of age, my mother left me with my paternal grandparents while she moved to another state to pursue my father. He left to find better opportunities than those available in a small, insular, Michigan town. He wanted a more expansive life. Being tied down to mother and child were not in his life plan at that time of his emotionally immature twenties.  She was hell bent on forcing marriage and parenthood on him at any cost.  Not the best of motives for building a family.

When he could not escape her, or the subterfuge she created to trick him into marriage, he joined the Marines.  It was World War II and all good men were jumping on the good ship save Europe.  Mother returned for me and was forced into the workforce.  Babysitters became my substitute mother before age 2.  Mother then divorced my father and married my stepfather when I was 2 1/2. A new life began for me. They even changed my last name. My own father was kept from me, throughout my childhood by my mother and stepfather who manipulated him into allowing my adoption.

Being a stepchild is not an easy life in many cases.  Four children were born of that marriage and I became the half-sister.  Cut off from my own father by jealousy and revenge, I spent the next 17.5 years mourning over my situation as a round peg in a square hole. If I dared to mention my father, I was immediately shut down either with stories of his nonfeasance, or gratitude I should have for a stepfather. Though perhaps well meaning, I was constantly reminded of how I came to the new family and how lucky I was to be accepted. Yet, I wasn’t. 

Sensitive children absolutely know when they don’t fit in and grief becomes a lonely endeavor that is the hard shell around their innermost feelings of acceptance. Add to that, not looking much like the siblings, yet sworn not to reveal my origins, fostered isolation. The family dysfunction and violence compounded things by being forced to adhere to the oath that “what happened in the house, stayed in the house.” Secrets were a way of life which in turn developed into a lifelong hesitancy to ever just be the essential me.

I was thinking a lot about this as the director addressed respect and trust.  I could feel the many, many situations in which I hold back and keep myself somewhat separate.  Separation has been my safety. If I don’t open the flood gates and keep the rising emotional rivers sand bagged, no harm can come.

One of my lifelong refuges has been intellectualism and numbers. I could stay in my head’s safety and numbers add up.  While my creative side finally got expressed, and I did a lot of work to access feelings, there was/is still that invisible barrier to anyone getting too close.  It is like being in a room of people and you are always sitting slightly apart from everyone.  You become the proverbial island unto yourself. Islands aren’t moored as securely as most solid land masses.  They drift, sometimes float, and occasionally just disappear. 

As I sat that day in my separate island, I realized that it is about time that I allowed myself to be known!  Not as a commodity or title, as a deeply human emotional being.  In the song Something So Right are words: And, I got a wall around me that you can’t even see, takes a little time to get next to me.”  Time, I think to let someone get next to me! I hope you too, who are living behind that protection wall, will decide to crack its surface, and allow some people in!  Past time to allow ourselves to be known!

“I spent a lot of years trying to outrun or outsmart vulnerability by making things certain and definite, black and white, good and bad. My inability to lean into the discomfort of vulnerability limited the fullness of those important experiences that are wrought with uncertainty: Love, belonging, trust, joy, and creativity to name a few.” Brene Brown

“Loving can cost a lot but not loving always costs more, and those who fear to love often find that want of love is an emptiness that robs the joy from life.” Merle Shain Author “Some Men are More Perfect Than Others.”

“There can be no vulnerability without risk; there can be no community without vulnerability; there can be no peace, and ultimately no life, without community.” M. Scott Peck

Version II



No comments:

Post a Comment